Saturday, August 9, 2008

society in decline

Every time I see an image of an old sign like those that fill the flickr group Society In Decline I'm reminded of William Gibson's short storyThe Gernsback Continuum and the many things that lead me to the style of work that i do. I'm also reminded I'm due a holiday. The last one being 8 or so years ago to Arizona. Check out the full set on Flickr and tell me you don't end up with an urge to take a roadtrip.
I suppose it started in London, in that bogus Greek taverna in Battersea Park Road, with lunch on Cohen's corporate tab. Dead steam-table food and it took them thirty minutes to find an ice bucket for the retsina.Cohen works for Barris-Watford, who publish big, trendy "trade" paperbacks: illustrated histories of the neon sign, the pinball machine, the windup toys of Occupied Japan." - William Gibson: The Gernsback Continuum

original post via: retro thing

No comments: